- the fact that you have achieved something that you want and have been trying to do or get; the fact of becoming rich or famous or of getting a high social position.
- a person or thing that has achieved a good result and been successful.
Some notable examples are below:
- Milkha Singh also known as The Flying Sikh, was an Indian track and field sprinter. As per Wikipedia, He is best known for the race which he did not win i.e.his fourth-place finish in the 400 metres final at the 1960 Olympic Games, which he had entered as one of the favourites. He led the race till the 200m mark before easing off, allowing others to pass him. So he is successful but did not reach his ultimate goal i.e winning medal in Olympics.
- Roger Federer is a Swiss professional tennis play who has won many titles. He is usually referred as GOAT i.e Greatest Of All Time. but did not win individual gold medal in Olympics which he always wanted to win.
- Bhaichung Bhutiais an Indian former professional footballer who played as a striker. Bhutia is considered as the torchbearer of Indian Football in the international arena. He was presented the Padma Shri in 2008 but he will not be referred as successful football player by most of football fans worldwide.
14 year old Anahat Singh won her first match in Common wealth Games 2022 but lost her second game to World No. 19 Emily Whitlock of Wales. Though she has not won but her future is certainly bright.
- Aditi Ashok, Indian golfer came 4th in 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.Her Parents has been her caddie in Olympics.Though she has not won but she is inspiration for all the youngsters who want to excel in sports.
We tend to always relate success with the end results. We should relate ourself more with the process. Above these examples are renowned and we came to know about their dream and their inability to achieve it.
In this world there are many more examples who led their life by example, lived their life with sheer dedication and hard work but did not win any accolade or got any recognition . These are also successful. Result oriented definition is not the real definition of Success. Real definition of Success is that involves enjoying the process without worrying about result. One should enjoy the journey without worrying about destination.